Bulgur, a Middle Eastern staple sounds more exotic than it actually is. Bulgur is created when wheat kernels are steamed, dried and crushed. It is a nutritious, quick-cooking form of whole wheat which is high in fibre. Bulgur actually has twice the amount of fibre in it than brown rice.
SERVES: 6 portions
RECIPE TIME: 20 minutes
Using parsley makes this salad not only a healthy choice, but a great palate cleanser. Lemon juice along with parsley does wonders to enhance any dish.
- Be creative! Don’t be scared of adding other ingredients to the salad. Try adding fresh mint or cilantro, it adds another taste of freshness.
- For a more subtle taste of onion try using green onions.
What you need:
- ¾ Cup Bulgur
- 1¼ Cups Water
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- ¼ Cup Diced Onion
- ¾ Cup Chopped Parsley
- 2 Tomatoes, Chopped
What to do:
- Make sure to wash your hands before you begin.
- Combine bulgur and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Strain and let cool for 15 minutes
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, lemon juice, and garlic and whisk together.
- Add parsley, tomatoes and onion to the bulgur. Add dressing and toss all ingredients.
- Serve as an appetizer with hummus and pita!