Shepherd’s Pie has been found in cook books dating back to 1791, under its original name Cottage Pie. This dish was created to use the leftovers from the previous night’s roast. This is an easy dish to get creative with, try switching up the kind of ground meat you use, like lamb or turkey!
SERVES: 6 portions
RECIPE TIME: 30 Minutes
Shepherd’s Pie is a meat and root vegetable based dish, so you are looking for a rich well blended flavour marrying all your ingredients together. Adding your favourite fresh herbs is an easy way to customize this dish to your personal palate.
- For a crisper top use your broiler setting for the last ten minutes at 450° F.
What you need:
- 6 lbs Potatoes, Peeled and Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- ¾ Cup Milk
- 1½ tsp Veggie Oil
- ¼ Cup Diced Onions
- 3 lbs Ground Beef
- ½ tsp Minced Garlic
- ¼ Cup Diced Carrot
- ¼ Cup Diced Celery
- ¼ Cup Corn
- ¼ Cup Peas
What to do:
- Make sure to wash your hands before you begin.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Cover potatoes with water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Cook until tender but still firm, about 10 minutes. Drain and add butter and milk while mashing. Set aside.
- Heat oil in frying pan; add onions and cook until translucent. Set aside. Add ground beef to pan and cook until well browned. Pour off excess fat and add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, corn and peas. Mix gently.
- Spread beef mixture on bottom on baking dish. Spread layer of mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve 1/2 Cup Portion.