National Banana Bread Day is on February 23rd! Banana bread gained in popularity in 1950 and has been a staple in most home baking ever since.
SERVES: 16 portions
RECIPE TIME: 35 - 40 Minutes
It is often a moist, sweet, and cake-like texture. Adding your favourite dried fruit will add a decadent texture.
- You can easily substitute apple sauce into the recipe instead of bananas.
What you need:
- ¼ Cup Veggie Oil
- 6 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- ¼ tsp Vanilla
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Egg*
- ¾ Cup Mashed Bananas
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
What to do:
- Make sure to wash your hands before you begin.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line bottom of baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, cream together oil and brown sugar. Stir in egg, vanilla and mashed bananas until well blended.
- Stir banana mixture into flour mixture. Stir just to moisten.
- Pour batter into parchment paper lined pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack.
- *Substitute with flaxseed meal to make it egg free. For every 1 egg, mix 1 Tbsp of flaxseed meal with 3 Tbsp of water, and allow it to thicken for 15 mins.